GOT TICKS? CONTACT BiTeRS
The Border Tick and Rickettsia Surveillance (BiTeRS) program of the Pacific Southwest Center of Excellence in Vector-Borne Diseases (PacVec) offers services to enhance surveillance for ticks and tick-borne pathogens of human health concern in California and Arizona. This is made possible through our project leaders at the University of California, Davis and the University of Arizona, and collaborating local and state agencies, including the California Department of Public Health and the Arizona Department of Health Services.
We help every step of the way, and shipping and testing are FREE. Collection supplies and protocols are provided, and partners receive all results on ticks they have submitted.
We work with partner organizations to:
- Perform surveillance for ticks and tick-borne diseases in their area
- Learn about risks of tick-borne diseases in their area by testing ticks for pathogens/diseases
- Collect and submit ticks for identification and testing
- Rapidly report results of tick identification and pathogen testing to submitting partners
- Provide training on ticks and tick-borne disease
Partner organizations may be:
- Government entities (local, tribal, county, or other)
- Workplaces with tick exposure
- Animal control, humane, or veterinary organizations
- Pest control services
- Other businesses or groups near the southern border with potential tick exposure